CHOCOLATE + CHICK PEAS? OH MY!
I first heard of this "protein candy" on Nest & Glow (thank you N&G ) & was immediately intrigued -- I mean, another healthy dessert option? YES, PLEASE.
After a little experimenting, I found that if I added a little bit of coconut oil to the chocolate mix I had an easier time working with the chocolate AND the added nutritional bonus. I also sprinkled in some dried fruit (goji berries & cranberries are our favorite) & the end combo was a TOTAL win win for the entire family. It's the strangest, yummiest combo you didn't know you needed in your life. Oh the things we learn while in quarantine.
So naturally, I had to share.
CHOCOLATE CHICKPEA CLUSTERS
- 2 15oz cans of chickpeas
- 1 tbsp organic coconut oil
- 1 cup organic chocolate chips
- 2-3 tbsp dried fruit of your choice (we love goji berries & cranberries)
- dash of celtic salt
- A Stainless Steel Double Boiler Pot (not a necessity but definitely makes melting the chocolate SO MUCH easier)
1.Preheat your oven to 350 degress.
2.Rinse & drain the chickpeas well then spread flat on an baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
3.Bake the chickpeas for around 60 mins, making sure to give them a little toss with a spatula every 15 minutes or so. You want them to get baked well and get nice & crunchy.
4. While the chickpeas are roasting, melt coconut oil & chocolate chips in a Stainless Steel Double Boiler Pot (OR on very low heat in stainless pot, stirring occasionally to prevent burning)
5. When done, place the dry chickpeas in a big bowl, add in dried fruit & pour the melted chocolate mix all over. Stir together well.
6. Next, using a spoon, scoop up the chocolate chickpea concoction & place in separate clusters onto parchment paper on a baking sheet. Top with sprinkling of salt.
7. Place baking sheet in refrigerator to cool & harden quickly.
8. When hardened, place in a glass pyrex bowl, enjoy & store in the fridge!
Hope this helps and adds some extra yum & fun to your kitchen.Stuff I love Signup for the Newsletter Visit the Store
Back to all posts